Saturday 6 July 2013

The transformation of Gujarat...

I'd been there earlier in 2000. So when I went there again after a gap of 13 years, I was surprised. How people behave at grass-root level would perhaps show how good or bad the place is. 
I firmly believe Yatha Raja, Tatha Praja. 
Here's our Auto driver for the day in Gujarat. My friend and I decided to be a bit adventurous and decided to take the Auto from Ellis Bridge to Adalaj Stepwell. 
We checked with the Auto driver who was outside our hotel the previous day and told him that we'd like to spend atleast a couple of hours there in Adalaj and asked him how much would he charge. He said he goes by the meter. 
We'd asked him to come by 10 am the next day.While we waited for 15 to 20 mins, thinking he hasn't reached, we thought of going out and checking out other autos. To our surprise,  he was there sharp by 10 am, but the hotel security guards apparently didn't let him get in as he couldn't recollect our hotel room number or the names. He was waiting outside for us. 


He suggested that he takes us to to a place called Baba Harir nu vav. 
Baba Harir Nu Vav is an amazing step-well in the heart of Amdavad. A hidden gem truly. While we went exploring those dark, bat filled stairwells, absoltely spell bound by the intricate carvings, our Auto driver sat there patiently, not hurrying up at all. 
Enroute to Adalaj from Harir nu vav

Post that we proceeded to Adalaj stepwell. Yet again an amazing place with intricate carvings! We offered to have lunch with our Auto Driver. He declined the same stating that he doesn't have lunch while driving as he feels sleepy. Hence we too decided to have a late lunch after reaching back Amdavad and settled for buttermilk. We bought him a pack of Amul Buttermilk. After a couple of hours of photoshoots, we decided to return back to Amdavad as our regular restaurant closes by 4. 



We reached our place by 3:30 pm having spent 5 hours with our Auto driver, who took us around 46 kms on the road. We asked him how much do we pay? He looked at his meter and stated 450 rs. We were surprised that the whole fare came to just 450. We gave him 50 rs more, which he declined. We were short of words to describe our feelings. I was so used to being swindled by Auto drivers in Mumbai (I totally avoid autos in Chennai and Bangalore). I asked him whether he manages to make both ends meet with his regular income. He smiled and asked back to me whether I feel happy giving him 450. "I hope you agree that 450 is a honest fare, sir", he stated in English. 

We shook hands as we parted ways, and I asked him what his name was. When he told me his name, I asked him for one last time, "Mohammad Bhai. Will you join us for lunch atleast here?"

He smiled and said thank you and cranked his auto and drove away. 


Yatha Raja, Tatha Praja......

No comments: